Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Stifled Creativity

I've been feeling mighty creative lately. I go through these phases when I get the urge to do something great. I want to paint, draw, redecorate, create! Anything. I can feel it in my veins. Something needs to be done.

The last time I had this feeling, I was sitting at work on a boring Friday afternoon and came up with the fantastic idea to rehab the old picnic table we had just received from some friends when they got a new one. I got the OK from Big Al, picked my design, and by Sunday afternoon it had been: sanded, primed, painted, and detailed. It came out pretty amazing. For awhile there I thought that it was going to be my break-through for picnic table designing. Shockingly, there isn't a high demand for crazy people who need to go through an extensive process to redecorate a picnic table. Go figure.

However, the usual happened when I was done. When it came time to clear coat my wonderful new design to preserve it in all it's glory forever and ever...I lost interest. The fun part was over, so honestly who cares. So...a couple months later it is still unfinished. I offered to pay Pa Dukes to do it, but I think he is trying to teach me one of those "finish what you started" lessons. UG. Dad, if you are reading this: PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP WILL YOU PLEASE FINISH IT!!! LOVE YOU!!! YOU'RE MY FAVORITE DAD IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!! Ya...I'm doubting that will work, but it was worth a try. See I am trying to finish what I started. I started to try to get YOU to finish the table for me! Lesson learned. TADA!

Ah yes, sorry about that. Back to my creative process. It all started around the time that Big A and I decided that we wanted to become home owners. Something about paying someone else's mortgage just didn't appeal to us anymore. Another shocker, I know. So I immediately began the process in my brain to decorate this imaginary house. I'm pretty sure I have the bedroom done. I have some ideas for the living room (and for those of you who know me (and my habit of buying things in purple despite no actual love for it)...it DOES NOT involve any purple...yet). I can't wait. It is going to be an amazing house. Full of fun, classy, sophisticated style. It's going to be a work of art. The house will be my canvas!

This is all well and good, but there's one problem...we don't have a house yet. And the selection in the area we want is getting a little thin. Who knows how long it will be. So, I'm stuck with all of this need to create...with no outlet. Imagine it similar to when you have to sneeze soooo bad and someone says "Bless you" right before you are doing to because they are a jackass who obviously doesn't understand (or does and thinks it's funny) that you are now stuck with the feeling that your head is going to explode. Yep, we are there. Big A dangled the idea of a house that I could decorate to my heart's content, and then the stupid real estate market said "Bless you!", snickered, and then walked away.

So what do I do? That is the question. Maybe I can re-do some of our furniture to get the process going. Stain some of our wooden pieces to match our bedroom. Buy a new bed set to match. Unfortunately, that brings up the fact that I should be SAVING money...not blowing it. Although, the other alternative is to sit here like a decorating crack head who needs her fix. There really must be some middle ground. You know how if you look directly at a light or the sun, you can make yourself sneeze again...finally getting that satisfying feeling you CRAVE? I need to find my decorating light to stare into. There has to be another way.

Isn't Big A going to be so excited when he hears what magnificent plans I come up with? He's going to be so happy! Haha...more like he will smile, roll his eyes, nod politely, and say "Sure honey, whatever you want. I've got nothing to do with it though". He knows better than to stand in the way when I have an idea. It's a dangerous path to be in. Now...what should I do?

Hmm...stay tuned...this could be a two-parter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Somethings...