Friday, August 20, 2010

Thanksgiving in August

Sometimes things happen in life that just stop you in your tracks. You have this overwhelming swirl of emotions twisting through you and you can't concentrate enough to figure out what they are let alone what they mean. All you do know are the random revelations that are known to follow things like this.

It's easy to get caught up in the world, traveling day by day through the monotonous trials and tribulations. You forget to stop and smell the roses. You forget to be thankful for the things that you have in life rather than take them for granted. When you do finally get a minute to yourself, you take those few precious seconds to be thankful for a roof over your head, for food on the table, for the job that provides it, for the people that love you. These are all normal and noble things to be thankful for. Unfortunately, in those spare moments the magnitude of what these things actually mean isn't properly expressed. It's times like these that it really hits you like a brick. Knocks the air out of you. Brings you back to center a little bit more. These are the things that I am thankful for. This is how they make me feel.

I am thankful for the family and friends that I have around me who love me unconditionally. There is never a moment in my life where these people have let me down. These people have been an incredible force in my life. They have been the backbone to my impenetrable support system. I have never had to feel alone. I have never had to feel like there is no other option but to give up. I have never had to hit rock bottom without knowing whether there will be a helping hand there to help me pick myself back up. Because of this and these amazing people, I attribute all the success I have had in my life.

I was taught early on in life that if you want something, you have to work for it. No one is ever going to hand you anything. Your blood, sweat, and tears is the only thing that will earn you success. That is life. It's not fair, it's not easy, but it's reality. So, for as long as I can remember I have spent the majority of my time working. Whether it be a job, school, or myself; I put everything I had into it. It didn't always work out, but at the end of the day I knew I had tried my hardest and sometimes things just don't go the way that you plan. Sometimes it's out of your hands. The universe works in mysterious ways. Through this hard work and dedication, I feel that I have gotten myself into a comfortable place in life and have become relatively successful when it comes to the goals I have created for myself.

However, it would be vain and incorrect to say that I did this all on my own. Without my family and friends this would not have been possible. Every failure would have been magnified. Every dark day would have unbearable. Every moment of panic when I was tired, and had hit rock bottom, and was ready to give up would not have been met with a kind face, a shoulder to cry on, and a hand to hold. Without this is would have been easier to sink down into those dark moments until I was unable to get claw my way out.

These are the things that you can take for granted. We see poverty and think of how grateful we are to have houses, food, and money to survive. These are the physical things that we need to survive. It's easy to forget about the emotional needs we have because they aren't as visible. There are people out there who do not have these support systems which result in them succumbing to those dark moments. It's sad and it's tragic. We sit and ponder what happened to them and why they gave up. Why didn't they ask for help or accept it? We can sit forever and discuss the logistics of these situations, but emotions aren't logical. They can not be explained away.

I'm rambling, I know. I'm trying to get all of reflect through these words so they are clear, however I am just trying to figure them out myself. I guess my point is that every time you see a family member or a friend and you feel their warm arms around you, every smile you give or receive, every time your heart is filled with so much love you feel that it could burst...be thankful. Know that similar to how there are people out there who are homeless and starving, there are those who go through life without ever knowing love. This is not to deter from the severity of poverty, problems like these are just a little less visible. And a little less relevant to my current emotional state.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Somethings...