Friday, May 4, 2012

Bummah of a Day

I'm bummed ladies.

Seriously bummed.

During my horrible lovely attempt to try the 5K course, I did something to my leg.

Well... let's back up. I did something to my leg months weeks ago, but I ignored it. Because, that's what you do when you hurt yourself and fixing it would but a damper on what you want to do. Right?

So, as usual, I pumped myself full of tylenol, put frozen vegetables ice on it and expected to wake up one morning and it be fine. Like always.

But, it isn't. It still hurts. I went to the doc yesterday and she seemed pretty sympathetic. She told me that she was pretty sure that it was shin splints, but that there is a possibility that it could be a stress fracture. She told me no running for a couple weeks. Then I told her about the 5K.

She told me that I could probably run it. If I wanted. That I should try a "little jog" on Saturday to see how I feel, but that I should listen to my body. If it keeps hurting, come back next week and she will do x-rays (I had already waited an hour for my appointment so she knew I had to rush back to work... or she really just didn't care about my pain...haven't decided yet).

So, I made the decision last night that I was just going to run the 5K anyway. Eff it, right? I mean, my next one isn't for a couple months. I don't plan on running much for the next few weeks (I'm bored and need a switch up in routine), so what does it matter?

Except... it still hurts. Just to walk. And the thought of running up that slow, steady hill makes me want to vomit from pain.

Now, I don't know what to do. Do I suck it up and just do it? And deal with the consequences after (which kinda suck because if my leg hurts like it did before then I am out at least another week of working out and I already missed this week). OR... should I do what Whackadoodle said and "listen to my body".

I really don't want to miss this. I have been looking forward to doing it. And as much as I was complaining about it, I STILL wanted to do it.

But, I don't know. I don't know what to do. I DO know that if I further hurt myself then my future Father in Law is going to kick my ass because he already told me to stop running. He's a physical therapist and knows his ish, except... I am famous for not listening to him and having him clean up my mess later. Sorry Mr. P!)

So... thoughts? Any of you runners have any advice? I'm still relatively new to this so I need all the help I can get.

Hope ya'll have a fabulous weekend!!! Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone! (although...if I run the 5K there will be no cinco de mayo-ing for me)

1 comment:

  1. I say see how you feel in the morning. If it is still hurting that bad, then I wouldn't do it, but if you feel okay, then I say go for it. I think she is right when she says to listen to your body. Hope everything works out!

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...