Friday, July 27, 2012

DIY Card Box and Program Box

Oh hey friends!

I'm baaaaack!

I've been telling you all about this project forever and I finally finished it on Tuesday.

It was a lot more work/effort/mess than I thought, but I had a lot of fun with it. I'm not quite sure how I thought it was going to work out, but I'm digging the end result.

About 8 billion years ago, when we first got engaged, I came across this post about making your own program box. So I took this DIY tutorial and made it my own a bit, but I never would have thought of it with out her.

So here it is... our Program and Card Box!!!

Here's what I did.

You will need:
  • 3 Paper Mache boxes (whatever style or size you want, I got mine from Joann's online)
  • Acrylic paint (I picked black, red, metallic silver, and a silver glitter) In the tutorial Chelsea uses latex paint, which is fine, I'm just allergic to latex so I just used Acrylic.
  • Clear coat (I wanted a shine to mine)
  • Brush (I used a foam one)
  • Wooden letters
  • Sticker letters (I found these in the scrapbook aisle)
  • Scissors, razor blade, etc. Something heavy duty to cut the boxes
  • Rhinestone band
  • Rub on designs
  • Glue gun
  • Black Feathers
  • And something to cover up your table because you WILL make a mess
Step 1: Get your boxes
Step 2: Cut holes in the bottom of the top box, the top and bottom of the middle box, and the top of the bottom box. Don't forget to leave enough room that you can still glue it together. Also, don't forget the slot on the top of the top box (probably should have taken a pic of that... I suck)
Step 3: I painted the letters just to get them out of the way.
Step 4: Decide on your paint pattern and get painting! I did black, silver, black. The black required 2 coats. The silver required 2, and then I put 2 coats of the glitter over it.
Step 5: Let the boxes dry (I let them dry overnight) and then apply your decals (those star looking things) and the letters on the program box.
Step 6: Cover everything with the clear coat. I did 2 coats on the black and only 1 on the silver. (Also, be careful with the decals... the clearcoat pulled some of it out of place. It was easy to fix, but hard to notice at times.
Step 7: Get gluing baby! I glued all of the parts together, except for the top of the bottom box. I didn't want to glue the entire thing together, but I also didn't want to make it easy for anyone to open it. So you have to take the huge entire top off to get at it (yeah... I trust no one haha) Then I glued on the rhinestones to the side of the tops of the boxes. And around the slot at the top. THEN... I glued on the letters. Finally, I worked with the feathers a bit to find where I liked them, and then glued them in place.
Step 8: Ask your Fiance 8,000 times if he likes it or if he thinks it is silly. Haha.

Card box. Hard to see, but there are feathers sticking out the side of the letter "C"

Program Box. I ended up painting the inside of the Program Box too because people would be seeing it. I painted it silver (and the top actually... which is tucked underneath it with rhinestones on it) for a little pop.

Welp... I hope you liked my overly explained, but simple project.

I love the way it turned out and I really had a lot of fun making it. I love projects like these, so I can't wait for the next one!!!

I'm hoping this adds a little to the style of the wedding, but also puts a personal DIY feel to it.

5 comments:

  1. cute! I love the feathers and bling!!! put this on pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these turned out great! I love it :)! Your very talented Miss. Crafty!

    Oh and I have been having problems with my google account, but it let me follow your blog via twitter through your GFC, who knew you could even do that?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute!!! i just pinned it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how I didn't see this post. I must have been off in never never land, haha! It turned out amazing!! I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...