Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Guest Post: Leah from Lovely Life of Leah

 Next up is the ever so fabulous Leah! Leah and I seriously spend a good part of our day just       e-mailing back and forth about the craziest things. Like, people at work who annoy us, the fact that she is a Southern gangster and I want to joing her gang, or about her adorable son Gavin. (Seriously, he's ridiculous handsome!) Love this girl, but then again, I of course only love high quality people. So you shouldn't be surprised.

Hi! I'm Leah from Lovely Life of Leah. I am sooo thrilled to be guest posting for Kayleigh while she's off on her honeymoon with the love of her life. Seriously, their love is the best! While I'm over here visiting, I decided to whip you guys up a little recipe I found on pinterest. These usually turn out awesome... right?
Oh Yum! Look at this amazing photo. A delicious and easy looking recipe from Pinterest for Tortilla and Black Bean Pie. I repinned this one a while back. Here is the real recipe and then the version I made with my boyfriend....

 via

The original recipe I pinned is from good old MarthaStewart.com and the picture makes it look sooo delicious! My boyfriend was was excited when I sent him this pic. He picked up all the ingredients before I came to town to visit one weekend (he lives 2 hrs south of me).

Here is the recipe to try for yourself!
  • YieldServes 6
Add to Shopping List

Ingredients

  • 4 flour tortillas (10 inches)
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno chile, minced (remove seeds and ribs for less heat)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 12 ounces beer, or 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
  • 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (2 1/2 cups)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. With a paring knife, trim tortillas to fit a 9-inch springform pan. Use the bottom of the pan as a guide. Set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
  3. Add beans and beer, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until liquid has almost evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in corn and scallions, and remove from heat. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
  4. Fit a trimmed tortilla in bottom of springform pan; layer with 1/4 of the beans and 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat three times, using 1 cup cheese on top layer. Bake until cheese melts, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove side of pan; sprinkle pie with scallions. To serve, slice into wedges.

The recipe sounds simple, easy, and delicious, right? (I feel like you all can already sense my snarky tone. And sorry about the sudden font-change. crazy Martha is already messing with me on this recipe, I can feel it!) 

Alright! Never mind what I just said, on with the recipe!

So for whatever reason we didn't have the flour tortillas, we had to use corn. And everybody knows corn tortillas are gross unless in chip-form aka corn chips! So my boyfriend broke out his cast iron skillet and we toasted up the corn tortillas (even though looking back, the recipe clearly said to use flour and nothing about toasting. Oh well, they were gluten free!)

We borrowed my boyfriend's neighbor's spring form pan and after drying the 'lightly crisp' tortillas off, we made our first layer and got started on the onion, spices, beans and beer layer. (For some reason I have no memory of using beer in this recipe. None At all. Not that I was drinking any (I don't think?) but whatever! I think we followed the directions for that part... probably).

Next we got the cheese, scallions, etc cut up (pretty sure this was my job in the process. Or I was off in the corner drinking beer?) All I know is we were ready for the layering!


After everything was layered, we baked just as the directions said...... and this was the final result:
It was kind of like a pile of nachos in a cheese cake pan but not. Just a mess. Not even sure why we didn't put cheese on top. And now that I look at the recipe, I'm not sure Martha Stewart's is the one that we even followed...


I didn't bother trying to take a photo of a serving in a plate (which quickly was transferred into a bowl). It was seriously just dry nachos with beans, corn, and nothing delicious... no sour cream or salsa. 

I was originally going to say this Pinterest project was a fail. And oh, it really was, don't get me wrong. My boyfriend refused to eat it and I felt really bad, so I choked these fake dry nachos down for the rest of the weekend. I think this recipe could possibly be worth trying again... with the correct tortillas, not cooking them ahead of time, and layering correctly. OH! And getting some sour cream and salsa for the top, even if it's another fail. 

Have you tried any recipes that you have seen on pinterest? Did they turn out better than this one? I'm always trying and at this point I'm at about a 50/50 for awesomeness vs failures.


Come hang out with me on LovelyLifeofLeah! Hopefully the next project I try from there will be a good one.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahah omg you're too sweet! Yes, I'm totally a southern gangster. deuces!

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...