Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Wake up Call: Apparently High School ISN'T Over

Alright, ladies. Today is a heavy one.

I arrived to work this morning and began to check Blogger as I do every day. It gives me a little time to wake up, and sometimes on days that I have no idea what to right about, it gives me inspiration.

Today is one of those days.

One of the first posts I read today was from Brittany. We were recently introduced to each other through Leah since she thought we would get along well and we both live in Massachusetts.

We have talked a few times about how the blogging world can begin to feel a bit like high school when the mean girls (or guys) come out of the wood works and spit their venom. I've been lucky enough not to have had to deal with this and I'm pretty sure that I would just tell the person to fuck off and leave it at that. But then again... I've never had to deal with it. So who knows what I would do or how I would feel.

Brittany, unfortunately, hasn't been so lucky. Without getting into details, since they rarely matter when someone is just being a downright horrible person, Brittany has had her fair share of mean girls.

Today, she wrote this post, and it literally sickened me to read it. I highly suggest that you go over and read the entire thing, but I'll give you the cliff notes version too.

Brittany came across a situation where another blogger was being ripped apart on a public forum. Purely for just living her life. They attacked her marriage, her step kids, her weight. Everything. And if anyone came to her defense, they assumed it was her writing it and ripped that apart too.

They even went so far to say that someone should send her the link to this forum about her "disgusting blog" and the next comment reads: "Done!".

Some Douche Bag actually took the time to look up her contact information purely for the purposes of sending her the link to the forum so she could read about all of the nasty things that were said about her.

This brings one thought to mind: What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Seriously. You make sport out of tearing people down? I never understood that. I never got my rocks off from ripping on other people. I never used negativity towards others to make myself feel better. I never understood that. And the crowd mentality of everyone to just jump on in because if everyone else is doing it then it must be OK.

I've seen some of my favorite blogs go private because they are petrified to see what these people do or say about them. I can't say I blame them. Some of them were about to become new mothers and out of protection for their children they chose to block their lives from the outside world.

Recently, Becky over at From Mrs. to Mama got a whole rash of shit for writing this post about how as a mother of a toddler, who works full-time nights at a hospital, and is pregnant with her second child was feeling overwhelmed because her dog's behavior was becoming a problem. Unfortunately, is resulted in this post as well, where she had to defend herself for something that didn't need defending. It is her life.

It was this story that truly took the cake on how completely fucked up some people can be.

I can't even imagine how I would feel if I went through that. Fearing for my life and my family's lives all at the sick game of some teenager who thought it was funny.

I can't even imagine.

We all have had our experiences with people who can't seem to get their head out of their ass long enough to realize that what they are doing is harmful. That this type of behavior can have absolutely horrible repercussions. There have been suicides, murders, assaults, etc. due to behavior like this. It's disgusting.

So, let's all take a minute and make ourselves a promise shall we. I know we have all seen someone or read something that made us think, "woah that bitch is crazy" or "what the hell is that person thinking?" but do me a favor... and leave it at that. There is nothing gained from spitting venom and hatred across the internet. No one needs to hear that you think they suck. Or are a whore. Or that you think they are a horrible mother because they don't know how to control their kid. There is nothing to be gained from that.

We live in an ugly enough world that we don't need to add to it. Let's not turn this whole blogging thing into something negative. I have learned so much from the people that I have met through blogging. I've shared secrets, talked about my relationships, told them things that some of my closest friends don't even know because these women have been through it all. I truly believe that my life is for the better having blogging in my life. I have an outlet. I have a group of supporters. People who are there for me no matter what I am going through.

And you know what, I'll be damned if I'm going to let some trolls ruin that.

So, think before you speak. I'm all about freedom of speech, but not when it is used to rip someone apart for sport.

6 comments:

  1. agree! headed over to check out britt's post right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head. It's so disgusting how some people's sole purpose is to get online and make other people feel like crap. There have been so many times I've wanted to jump in on a Twitter fight or something and I just never do. I stop and realize that no matter what instant gratification I get, I shouldn't be involving myself and hurting someone else just to insert my opinion. I feel so bad for Lindsay that this is happening to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen that whole website devoted to people bashing others blogs? its like get off my internet or something, I dont remember. It's sick though. Who seriously has that much free time

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love blogging... I really do. I mostly love it because of all the amazing women I have met through it such as yourself. I can't even begin to phathom leaving a mean comment on anybody's blog whether I agreed with it or not. HORRIBLE. I hate it. It's funny because during my absence when I came back there were a whole lotta blogs I used to LOVE to read that went private. Makes me sad. I continue to be an open book... obviously. I would probably do the same as you and tell them to FUCK off x10... People are assholes. I feel like the blogging world has went all clicky and mean girlish upon returning and I don't like it. Not one bit! These people really need to get lives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are absolutely right. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with this, and I hope that I never do, but it is just down right wrong. I don't understand how people can be so cruel about things. It is their life, and they should get to live it how they want and not have to defend themselves. Good for you for putting this out there. I hope that people read it and think differently about how they should respond to other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hit the nail on the head- I think someone already said that BUT it is so fitting for everything you wrote. As someone who just went through this I greatly appreciate you taking the time to take such an important stance on your blog. Everything you said was dead on. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...