Monday, December 17, 2012

Some Thoughts...

I thought a lot about what I would write today.

I thought about talking about our weekend, our house, what's going on in our lives.

But all of that seems trivial in light of Friday's horrific event.

I thought a lot about what I would write about the Connecticut shooting. How innocent children lost their lives. How innocent men and women lost their lives.

But, there are just no words to describe it. And you can't rationalize an irrational event.

Bottom line: It shouldn't have happened. Those men, women, and children shouldn't have lost their lives that day.

There's been a lot of talk about gun laws. And while I agree with some of the arguments, the bottom line is that guns don't kill people. People kill people.

And until we address the issue of what is going on with those who are pulling the trigger, no amount of amendments to gun laws will make a difference.

I read this article that I found on Facebook yesterday, and it really hit me. I think you should all read it too.

You can find it here.

And now? Let's just take some time to remember and honor those who lost their lives.

Let's not use this as an excuse to get up on our soap boxes and act like we can fix the world's problems. Let's not use this as an opportunity to fight with each other about our opinions.

Let's just realize that this was a senseless act of violence by a very sick person and it NEVER should have happened.

I hope everyone is giving their loved ones extra hugs and love. I know I am.

4 comments:

  1. I read that article too and the first thing it made me wonder was if his mother kept all those guns because she was afraid of him. We'll never know. Awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously cried the whole way home on Friday because of what happened. I made sure to spend as much time as I could with my family over the weekend. Especially my Nieces. They are the same age as the kids that lost their lives and it just made me realize that I shouldn't take them or anyone for granted. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those affected by this horrible tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a horrific event. and you are right, it's irrational and so unfortuinate. I've heard moms on my FB feed saying they want to homeschool their kids now, and idk... you nailed it, this isn't the time to get on a soap box, or talk about anything except the tragic event. and the loss of those sweet lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree 100 percent. It is too hard to make sense of a senseless act and until we understand the issues of the people pulling the triggers, gun & other laws are not going to make a difference. We just need to honor and pray for the families of those sweet babies.
    Rachel
    http://sugar-stripes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...