Monday, March 4, 2013

Wedding Recap: The Honeymoon

Hello Lovers.
 
Today is the FINAL installment of Wedding Recaps.
 
It's all done folks.
 
I'm sure most of you are so excited about that. Haha.
 
Now maybe I could focus on the house that we bought 3 months ago. Haha.
 
At least I finished my recaps short of the 6 month mark. Well... 4 days short, but...whatever.
 
Big A and I waited a week between the Wedding and our Honeymoon because we didn't want to feel rushed. We really wanted to get the most time out of our vacation. Especially since the two of us haven't been AWAY for a week the entire time we have been together.
 
I know, right?! I was a little nervous that we might kill each other, but I was pleasantly surprised with how much fun we had. Every single day. Doing everything and nothing at all. It was perfect.
 
We went to Martha's Vineyard for the week. Which always holds a special place for us. My family was nice enough to give us the cottage for the week, so we really only paid for the ferry ride and food. Which was still expensive, but we NEVER would have been able to afford it if we had to pay the normal amount people do to rent a cottage on MV.
 
We left the following Saturday. Missing our boat by about 5 seconds (there was a miscommunication on the boat time and one of us had to drive through the Chevy dealership to look at the new trucks...water under the bridge), but there was one leaving right after. Unfortunately, it was a freight boat so we weren't able to go into the restaurant and grab food or a beer like we planned.
 
BUT, we survived.
 
We headed straight to the cottage to unpack and get Mr. Fresh settled, (yes he came, he LOVES MV) and then focused on food.
 
Big A and I on the boat. Our new wedding bands. And some pictures of Menemsha, which was where we were staying.
 
The whole week we just went on our own timeline. Some days we would drive around. Some days we hung around the cottage.
 
Some days we went out to eat. Some days we ate at home. It was nice to have the choice. And honestly, I didn't even mind cooking.

View from the cottage, and  the back porch. And some pictures from the beach.
 
One day we went to Aquinnah and checked out the lighthouse. In all of my 27 years of going to Martha's Vineyard, I don't think I've ever toured a lighthouse.

Thankfully, my husband is full of adventure and intrigue because I have seen more parts of the island in the 6 years I've know him from simply driving around aimlessly. It's kind of fun to see where you end up.

The lighthouse. A pic of us in the cave at mini golf.
 
Big A and I each have a fierce competitive side. Neither one of us is a particularly gracious loser, but we are working on it. One of the MAIN sources of competition is mini golf. Until our honeymoon, I was undefeated. 5 1/2 years of being the reigning champion. Our entire dating life. Now Big A thinks he is the mini golf champ of the world.
 
I can't wait to kick his ass this Summer. :)

We went to Menemsha Beach to watch the sunset a couple nights. It was hard with Mr. Fresh since he enjoys his personal space and a beach full of people isn't his thing, but he did the best he could. We spent every night relaxing by the fire. The days were really pretty and warm, but the nights were chilly. One afternoon we went back to Aquinnah to have lunch at one of our most favorite spots that overlooks the Gay Head cliffs. GORGEOUS!
 
It was definitely bittersweet at the end of the week. We were kind of ready to get back to our lives, but really wanted to stay forever. We talked of dreams of moving to MV and starting a business and just living there all year round. But, then we figured that might take the magic out of it a little.
 
Our last night there we treated ourselves to delicious lobsters and clam chowder. We had them cooked at the local fish market and just picked it up all ready to eat. They were seriously the MOST delicious lobsters we have ever had. But then again, that's what you get when the fish market is 5 feet from the ocean they were caught in.

A deliriously happy newlywed picture that I will love forever. Our lobsters. And a photo shoot with Mr. Fresh's favorite backyard ever.
 
And just like that it was over.
 
It was so nice to spend an entire week there. Usually we get there around 11 PM on Friday night and have to leave on Sunday. And we had been going in the Fall so it wasn't that great. I mean, it was a vacation and it was Martha's Vineyard, but there's nothing like MV in the Summer.
 
We are SO looking forward to going back this Summer. And now that place is just a little more special. It was where we spent an absolutely amazing week still basking in the glow of our newlywed life. I so miss that week, but I know that we have so many more memories to come.
 
And that's all. The planning, the parties, the stress, the excitement, EVERYTHING. All over and done. It was one of the most amazing times in our lives. But... our time as Husband and Wife is pretty freaking amazing too. And we have our whole entire lives for that. Not just 16 months.
 
Thanks for hanging in there guys. All the love, comments, advice, everything. You're amazing.
 
Smooches!

7 comments:

  1. Looks like it was so relaxing and fun! I have never been to MV! We have a place in Dennisport so I spend a ton of time on the Cape but have never made it over to MV. I really want to go. I guess one of the reasons I never have is b/c it is so expensive to stay there. Lucky you to have a cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks like an amazing place! And so friggin relaxing!! Def. adding Martha's Vineyard to a place I'd like to see some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photo in the cave at mini golf! I miss MV so much...we should plan a couples trip there! All your newlywed photos are so cute. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you took your dog!!!! Looks like you had an amazing and relaxing time there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the newly wed photo too! You guys look so happy! I thought Aran and I were the only ones that loved mini golf that much, haha! Glad to know that we aren't alone in that category. I'm so glad that you guys had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up going to MV every weekend on my dad's boat, it has such a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great time! And I also love that you took your dog!

    Ramblings of a Suburban Mom

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...