Thursday, June 27, 2013

Rug Selection

 Yesterday, I decided to catch up a little on the blog Young House Love. You know, the blog about the married couple who get paid to make their houses amazing?
 
Yeah that one.
 
I was surprised to find out that they bought a gorgeous new house and have already started working on making it awesome. Which, of course, made me realize how little we have done on ours.
 
I mean, yeah it was great when we first moved in because we got a lot done THEN. But, there's still so much left that we need to do.
 
So, to make myself feel better, I shall tell you my hunt for a new rug for the living room. I'm also going to (at some point, probably not right this second) make a list like they do for all the things we want to do in each room. I say we loosely because Big A doesn't care, but I do.
 
A billion years ago, I decided we needed a new rug for the living room. We got a new couch and the old one wasn't that awesome to begin with, so, new couch it was.
 
I knew I wanted a dark gray rug. I thought it would compliment the color of the walls and the couch well. I wanted to use red as an accent color as well, but that was too hard to find in a rug. Reds can be very different and I wanted a specific shade.
 
So I searched the internet for every gray rug I could find. (PS, does it bother anyone else that there's two ways to spell gray. Why  gray and grey? Pick one. And when I say pick one, I mean pick gray, the other one bothers me. Anywho...)
 
These were my favorites:
 
I'm hesitant to source these because I found them EVERYWHERE. Rugsdirect,  RugsUSA, etc. etc.
 
While looking I found some interesting choices. Let's take a look, shall we:

This one too closely resembles a female body part. I'm totally not into having this as part of my decor.

This one, while fierce, was just all the wrong colors.
 
After staring at that first one for so long, I couldn't NOT see boobs when I looked at this one. So it was out.
 
I hemmed and hawed and attempted to haggle with those companies that promise you "the lowest price" and was about to give up when I found the one I wanted was on sale at Overstock.com. It was a cheaper price to begin with, then on sale, then an extra percentage off. We all know I love me a good deal. So I got the A-OK from Big A and pulled the trigger.
 
Here's a little reminder of what it looked like: (I tried to find a pic with the old couch, but I think I deleted them all)
 
 
And here's the one we chose:

 
Obviously, Mr. Fresh has great taste. He LOVED it. Haha.
 
It's a little lighter in person. I love the different shades of gray/silver in it that compliment the walls and couch so well. I plan to add in red curtains and pillow covers to make the room pop a little bit.
 
Another little project was lighting. The living room is the only room in the house that didn't have built in lighting. We thought about putting in some recessed lighting, but the ceiling is just so gorgeous that we don't want to ruin it.
 
I looked for some lights to put on the walls, but I never found anything too special. I found something "good enough for now" and I think that with new shades on them they could be better.
 
But that wasn't enough. We needed something else. So I found this old lamp we have had sitting since we moved into our apartment a thousand years ago. We never used it. I found the lamp shade at Bed, Bath, & Beyond and had a gift card so I snagged it figuring I could use it for something.
 
Then the light went off in my head, (hehe, get it?) and I realized they would be perfect. But the gold had to go. It just didn't fit into the color scheme.
 
So I snagged some cheap black spray paint with a satin finish and went to town.

 
Look at the difference!
 
The spray paint was only like $4 (and we have plenty left) and I don't remember what the lamp shade was, but I had a gift card so it was free to me!
 
It goes perfectly with the room!
 
Now we just need curtains, pillow covers, a new coffee table / end table set, and to paint the wood work white. And the living room is done!
 
I know I'm not going to start any major projects any time soon because it is so nice out lately and we are working on the outside, but it is never too early to start brainstorming.
 
Plus, we all know I'm a cheap bastard so I this will give me time to find prices that are acceptable to me. Haha!
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I love the rug you chose. It looks great w/ the couch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you didn't go with the huge cat rug!! Colors be damned, duh! haha just kidding, love your choice! Mr. Fresh obviously has good taste :)

    Jen
    Jen.amileamemory@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rug!! It looks great! And so does the lamp.

    And I LOVE Young House Love! I am so jealous of them and all there home updating that they do. I wish I had the time and the moolah to be able to update our house like they do.

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...