Thursday, January 16, 2014

Another Baby P Update: Hospital Tour

Last night Big A and I took a tour of the maternity unit at the hospital that I will be delivering at.

We aren't all together too familiar with this hospital, as we have only been there twice before and they were both pregnancy related trips, so I thought it would be a good idea to get the lay of the land. Plus, I really wanted to see where to go and what to expect when we get there.

I haven't been huge into taking classes or anything. I'm not feeling unprepared or nervous about anything so I think it would just be a waste of time and money. BUT, it was important for me to see the hospital and to take a CPR/First Aid class (which we have on the 30th).

The hospital is a bit of a drive, especially since we have two pretty close to our house and a third that's probably about the same distance, but more convenient. However, this is the hospital that my doctor's office chooses to deliver at.

During our first pregnancy we were adamant about switching doctors to a closer hospital. We were waiting to see my doctor for the first time (which should have been at 10 weeks) but we never got that far. After the AMAZING treatment that we got after our loss, I knew that we were in good hands. Big A and I decided that was more important than driving distance.

We arrived at the hospital and hung out in the waiting room for about 10 minutes before the woman came out to get us. There were about five or six other couples there as well, and all the women seemed to be all over the place with how far along they were.

The tour was about 45 minutes long, which was perfect, and we got to see where we would go when we first got there, what room we would be monitored in, a labor & delivery room, and then a regular post-partum hospital room.

I loved that all of the rooms were private. The only thing that you shared was in the observation room where two rooms were connected to one bathroom. That's it. The rest of the rooms are private. You share nothing. Which is perfect. I was worried about being a brand new Mom, tired and stressed, and getting roomed with some whack job. I wasn't going to be too happy about that.

I also loved that most of the rooms have jacuzzi tubs in the bathrooms. There are three (I think) rooms that have showers and it is a first come first serve basis, but I totally hope that I end up in a room with a tub (which means I won't). I don't know if I would plan on using a tub, since being large, naked, and wet while laboring doesn't sound like a whole bunch of fun. BUT, who knows, it might be just what I need.

The hospital is very big on what is best for Mom and baby, which made me feel 1,000 times better. They said that their main goal is to get as much skin to skin contact as possible, which is one of the few things that I'm big on doing. I don't care about what kind of delivery I have, I'm all about the epidural (I'm no one's hero, I know that natural works for some people, but I also know that I'm a raging bitch when I'm uncomfortable and I don't need my son brought into a world where Mommy shows him how much of a psychopath she really is up front... let's wait for the teenage years for that), I plan to just let the doctors and nurses guide me through what they think is best and go with my instincts. However, I want that tiny, squishy baby ASAP and I want him in my arms. THAT I'm big on.

That's a huge concern for me since Bugsy Boy is breech and there's a possibility of a c-section in my future. I know that it limits the chances of skin to skin contact, at least right away. But, this makes me feel more comfortable that they are going to make sure that they do everything they can to make it happen as soon as possible.

I was a bit concerned about their visiting hours because they seemed kind of strict. They said they were from 11 AM to 2 PM and 4 PM to 8 PM. The hours of 2 PM to 4 PM are called "quiet hours" and no visitors outside of the dad/support person are allowed. Which I totally understood. But the rest of the hours seemed a bit much. Especially since almost everyone I know delivered at another hospital (closer to us) and it was pretty much an open door policy. The women told us that the visiting hours were whenever, just not during the quiet time. Which made me happy. They also said that during labor they will quietly consult you before letting any visitors in to make sure that it is OK with you.                                                                                                                                                                                      Which is great since a friend of mine went through an experience where a random friend of hers and her boyfriend showed up while she was in labor. As in, here is Friend A with her husband, in labor, in the hospital. Friend B shows up, with her BOYFRIEND, and wants to hang out. Umm... no. I mean, I know that none of my friends are weird enough to do that, but still. No.

Another great thing about the hospital is that you are always designated a nurse. While in labor and post partum, you have ONE nurse assigned to you (obviously this switches with shifts and such, but one shift, one nurse) the whole time. I didn't want a whole bunch of random people in and out of the rooms not knowing what someone else is doing. So this was great.

The only thing about the tour was that I didn't get to see where we would be going if I got a c-section. I mean, obviously they couldn't bring us into an operating room. But it would have been nice to peek.

I feel even more comfortable with our hospital choice now. I just can't wait for the time to get here. It was a little emotional thinking that the next time we are there it will be to have a baby. Eek!


3 comments:

  1. I so want to hear about this (and which hospital you're delivering at). Those hours are a little stricter than most but knowing how you are, you'll probably want that designated quiet and alone time. Also, WTF who just randomly shows up with their gross boyfriend to watch your friend give birth? What is wrong with people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never did an official hospital tour, though I looked at all the photos and info online. For some reason I just didn't feel the need since there really wasn't anything I could do if I didn't like something, that's where I was going to deliver. I did however, get an unexpected "tour" at 35 weeks when I had to spend the night for some pre-term contractions so when I showed up for my induction I was already pretty familiar with the place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that your hospital visit went well! And I hope you get that jacuzzi tub too!

    I am glad that you don't have to share a room at any point too. I can't even imagine sharing a room with someone during any part of this process. That would just be weird.

    And glad that you are feeling comfortable with everything. I can't believe how close you are to having your little man! Eeeeekk!

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...