Thursday, March 13, 2014

Baby P's Nursery Reveal: Part 1

When Big A and I first found out about Baby P, we were a bit in shock. Coming off the recovery from our first experience, I think we were in shock for awhile. Cautious, if you will.
 
When we got the A-OK from the doctor, we slowly transitioned to, "Holy shit, we're having a baby!"
 
Which then transitioned to, "Holy shit, where the hell are we going to put him?"
 
When Big A and I bought our house, we closed on December 5th. (You can see the pictures from closing day and the before pictures here.) Which immediately started crunch time. We only had our apartment until December 31st and we were NOT paying for an extra month's rent. Christmas was quickly approaching, as was my birthday, and we knew we didn't want to still be going back and forth. So we did what we had to do.
 
We tore down the wallpaper in the downstairs bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and hallway. Fixed up the walls where they were damaged. Threw paint up on the walls in those rooms, the office, and the living room. (See the update pictures here) And moved in. (We have updated some furniture and decorated a bit more, but that's about it. When I finally have a room "done", I'll post about it)
 
We had two more bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs that we didn't touch. In fact, we just threw a bunch of shit in there so it wasn't hanging around the rest of the house.
 
We didn't need it, since there was a coffin shower in the downstairs bathroom, and it was just the two of us so one bedroom was enough. Sure it sucked because everything was crunched into rooms and spaces and we had no organization, but it worked for us. We didn't want to spend the time or money to do it right then.
 
This is what the nursery looked like when we moved in. Although, imagine a whole bunch of random boxes of shit in there too.
 
It became clear that we needed a plan. We couldn't fit a crib or pack 'n play in our bedroom and we had nowhere to put the stuff in the office that wouldn't be highly inconvenient. So that wasn't an option.
 
So, we begged and pleaded with my dad (which wasn't really either, I simply asked him and he's amazing and said of course) and dumped our savings account.
 
Nothing like seeing a $25 balance in your savings account when you have a baby on the way to make you feel all warm and secure... or nervous and sweaty... ya know... either one.
 
We knew that we wanted to eventually blow out the walls and re-do the roof so that the ceilings weren't slanted. But the roof was practically brand new, so we weren't planning on it at any point soon. We wanted to get carpet installed and it seemed silly to get the carpet installed, only to rip it up long before it was needed to push back the walls (there's storage behind those wooden walls).
 
So, we did what any normal family does when they have a baby on the way... start a major construction project.

This is what I came home to every day. The other bedroom was like this too. And the bathroom was completely torn apart. It was a struggle to say the least. Especially when I was tired and just wanted to come home and nap, but there were power tools going off on the floor above me. I felt bad that I couldn't help, but the dust in the rooms was too much for me, so I just sat downstairs, not napping, feeling like a jerk for not helping.
 
Here's the "middle" progress pictures:
 
As you can see in the first top two pictures, there's no carpet yet. We hired Luna to come in and carpet the stairs, hallway, and both bedrooms all at once (my dad tiled the bathroom himself). I promise you the walls and the floor are two totally different shades of gray. The walls are a light gray (Behr Sparrow if you're curious) and the floor is more charcoal.  It just doesn't look like it here. We took paint that we were originally going to use for the bathroom and painted the inside of the closet for a little bit of color added (I also used it for the base color on the bookshelf I painted). And of course, you have seen the pictures of the crib. The first piece of furniture upstairs.
 
It took from about October to the middle of February to start and finish the project. There were some setbacks that made things take a little longer, but that's pretty much par for the course. Not bad to gut three separate rooms and put them all back together in about four months.
 
I was big on making sure that I could get my hands on the nursery. I needed everything done in there and the furniture set-up by the time I had my shower, so that I could just bring everything in and organize it. Pops made good on that progress. There were still a couple things that needed to get done, but I definitely was able to do what I needed to do.
 
I pretty much had the same ideas for the nursery from start to finish. I knew I wanted light gray walls and a charcoal rug regardless of the gender. I was pretty sure I wanted black furniture, but I would have considered white if it was a girl. I figured that I would add in the accent colors later.
 
When we found out that we were having a boy, I definitely knew that I wanted to use blue as an accent, but didn't want everything to be "BLUE BLUE BLUE". So I chose a turquoise, thinking it would accent the dark colors. I found a cozy little blanket on clearance at TJ Maxx one day that was gray, turquoise, and white, but also a darker blue and a lime green.
 
It was pretty perfect. So that's what I decided on. Gray/white walls. Charcoal rug. With turquoise, blue (had to be the right shade of blue, which was easier said than found), and lime green accents. It was the perfect amount of BOY without being too overboard.
 
I was also careful for it not to be a "baby" room. I mean, granted it is a room for a baby, but I wanted him to be able to grow in it. I didn't want to have to redo it in a couple years when he grew out of it. And I'm not huge into themes. I like color schemes, but zoo animals aren't my thing. No knocking anyone else and their tastes, just a personal preference. I very much think of him as a little man, and less like a "baby". If that makes sense.
 
So that's where I'll leave off for today since this is getting a little lengthy. You have seen the before, the demolition, the middle, and heard the plans behind the decorations. I'll do another post with the finished product. Which, funny enough is the first finished room in the house.
 
Stay tuned for Part 2!

6 comments:

  1. Ah so excited! Pretty cool that the nursery is the first totally finished room in the house! See how a little one already has so much control? ha ha! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I can't wait to see the finished product. And I can just envision your colors in my head and I love them together! They are perfect!!! Eeek! So excited to see it all put together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Your dad has done a fantastic job so far and even though I'm sure it hasn't been easy, the result is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the gray walls and holy moly that looks like a lot of work!! Kudos to your dad!

    I wanted gray walls in a lot of the rooms in our house. We obviously are SO bad at picking out paint and we were SO over paint colors that we just pained the walls with whatever color we bought and are just living with it. hahah

    ReplyDelete
  5. It already looks great! Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great and I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures! My husband and I bought a house that needed to be completely renovated (smoke damage, yay!) right before we got married and then accidentally got pregnant immediately after getting married. Dealing with the house was a disaster. I had to go live with my parents for a few weeks late in the third trimester while my husband gutted and re-did our bathroom (the only one we have.) I officially hate doing home renovations- and am about to do more, haha!

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...