Monday, March 10, 2014

Weekend Recap: Freezer Meals: 1 Part Genius, 1 Part Sadism

These weekends have been pretty busy with checking things off the "To Do Before Baby" list.
 
It seems like the list is never-ending, but currently I only have "take stickers off crib" and "sanitize and organize bottles" on my list which don't seem quite so daunting. They also aren't absolute "must do's" so I'm feeling pretty good.
 
I mean, let's forget that my house is a disaster, but I figure if the worst thing that happens is that my kid comes home to a house with dog hair, then I'm alright.
 
This weekend's big TO DO was freezer meals.
 
Naturally, I wrangled my poor mother into doing this with me. Along with most difficult, annoying, "I don't want to do them so if I have to be miserable then you are going to be miserable with me" tasks.
 
She's so lucky to have me.
 
To be fair, there are perks to being my mother. Like, I have a pool, and we do coffee and nails, and my husband is a mechanic and plows, and... I'm giving her a Grandson.
 
So it's not ALL bad.
 
Saturday, we started off with coffee and nails. The calm before the storm. Granted, my nail lady sucked the big one, but my pedicure was lovely and my mom enjoyed herself.
 
Next we hit up three different stores to get the supplies we needed. I have to preface this with I did my research before this. Mumsie and I sat down, found a bunch of recipes, and made a list. Then I found this absolutely amazing website: "A month of freezer meals in one afternoon" and it was like angels were singing.
 
She wrote out the recipes, the main ingredient list, and tips & tricks she learned along the way. It was super helpful. I ended up ditching my original recipes and just making what she had on her list. It was 1,000 times easier.
 
Although, a little tip & trick from me... don't do this 9 1/2 months pregnant. Even breaking it up into two days and having my saint of a mother helping me was tough. My feet still hurt and I woke up today whining that the baby was ready to wake up so I should go back to sleep ASAP. Not my best look.
 
On Sunday, I dragged my Mumsie back over and we got to work. We followed the woman's instructions and cooked things in shifts. 6 onions and 6 cloves of garlic, chopped. Then we cooked 10 lbs of ground turkey (I don't usually eat ground beef) in 2-3 lb shifts. All the while we were boiling 12 chicken breasts in a large pot. 5 cups of rice. Two boxes of pasta. And one LARGE pot of marinara sauce.
 
Once we had finished certain parts of it we were able to start putting some of the meals together one in groups. We wrote the meal name and cooking instructions on the tin foil (we couldn't find the pans with flat tops, only the ones with the large plastic tops and those wouldn't work for storage) and then put everything in the brand new deep freezer that I made Big A buy me in one of my "we need this ASAP, no we do NOT have time to wait any longer because we needed to own is yesterday" fits.
 
He's really too good to me.
 
This was what we ended up with:
 
21 Freezer Meals.
 
I cut out some of the recipes I didn't want and ended up with a little bit different of a count for some of the others. This was what I ended up with:
 
* 5 Lasagnas
* 3 Bags of Meat Sauce
(Ready to just throw on spaghetti)
* 1 Bag of Cooked Ground Turkey
(For tacos, whatever)
* 3 Cheeseburger Casseroles
* 4 Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pasta Bake
* 3 Basic Chicken Casserole
* Two Bags of Cooked Shredded Chicken
(For tacos, enchiladas, etc.)
 
Update: I meant to add in that I spent about $280 on everything. This includes a whole bunch of stuff that I bought for other recipes that we didn't end up using. It came out to about $13 a dinner. Which were big portions, so it is more like dinner and lunch the next day. It was probably closer to like $10 or $11 a meal though. I went to BJ's (which is a wholesale club), Stop & Shop, and then bought all the pans at Ocean State Job Lot for like 60 cents each!
 
I'm the main grocery shopper / cooker in the house, so having me out of commission was a little nerve wracking. I also made sure to buy a few frozen pizzas for back-up. And there's always take out.
 
Big A is fully capable of pre-heating the oven and cooking something with a set time. He's not so good at when you have to mix things and cook on the stove. Maybe some day, but for now I'll take the fact that I have him able to cook simple things IN the oven. Haha
 
Hopefully this will take some pressure off things once Baby P decides to make his grand entrance. It was a lot of work, but I'm going to love that we did it. They aren't SUPER healthy, but they aren't that bad either. I mean, I imagine we are just going to be in straight survival mode for the first month, so I'll take what I can get.
 
And seriously, I couldn't have done this without my mom. She is a fucking saint. I mean, I know you probably aren't supposed to drop the f-bomb and saint in the same sentence, but seriously, she is. I would be about to freak out that we didn't have any bowls or pans clean and they would be sitting there all cleaned and washed waiting. She was amazing.
 
I would suggest renting her out, but I don't think she will ever do this again. Although, she might if alcohol was involved. It was no fun doing this with a Sober Sally.
 
Also... this happened. Yeah.

 
I've got more updates on the Little Dude tomorrow and FINALLY have his nursery reveal, probably on Thursday. AND I have a post started on our bathroom remodel. I'll do our bedroom at some point too, but it is still a work in progress.
 
Look at all this grown-up blogging. I'm so proud of me.
 
Now watch me fall off the face or the Earth for the rest of the week and not post anything.
 
Maybe I should schedule some before I become a hermit again...
 
Anywho... hope everyone had a fabulous weekend!


9 comments:

  1. the 9.5 mths pregnant scared me there LOL. I was like what? no baby yet? LOL

    Freezing things is a good idea. use to do it too when i didn't live at home.
    hope things are coming along good. Your baby wont pay attention to your house b/c the first couple of weeks and even mths all he will do is sleep.

    Would love you for to join the hops.
    http://loopdelinks.blogspot.com/2014/03/monday-link-up_10.html

    http://hotpinkowl02.blogspot.com/2014/03/blog-hop-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing idea\task lol! I will definitely be snagging this website!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have thought about doing this at some point during the pregnancy because my husband DOES NOT cook. He's a throw a frozen pizza in the oven kind of cook. I will be going to the site you mentioned and also dragging my mom in for help if I get around to doing this. I REALLY hate cooking. So the thought of that much all at once makes me angry already. :)
    Even if your meals aren't all that healthy it's still better than eating fast food and take out all the time. I think those meals sounds delicious!! Look at all the money you will be saving too!!

    p.s. I loved this.... "She is a fucking saint" hahahaha Mom's are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. HOLY MOLY you are going to be a mom SO SOON!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 9 DAYS?!?! AHHHH. Also, that website is fantastic. Already bookmarked for future use :) Can you just have your kid already so I can see how cute he is?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a lot of work but it's going to be so worth it when baby P gets here! I wish I had done the same before my daughter was born!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow looks like you are set for awhile! I'm sure you will be so happy to have those easy meals after Baby P arrives. And thank goodness for moms to help out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you are due in 9 days! You will love having all of those freezer meals. We did a couple before I had Hunter and got a couple from my mother in law but at the time didn't have an extra freezer so we couldn't do too much in advance

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you got more of your to-do list checked off. And your Mom is awesome for helping you out with all of this stuff.

    I wish I could do something like this on a regular basis. It would make my life soo much easier, but I have no idea where I would put everything, haha!

    And 9 days?!!! Aaaaaaaggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...