Friday, June 6, 2014

Baby J's Birth Story: Part Three

Need to catch up? Read Part One and Part Two!

I'm well aware that this story is going on forever. And that some of you maybe could care less about all of these details, but I want to make sure that I remember every single detail of this absolutely amazing day.

Where were we... oh yeah... "Go time!"

At 4:00 PM they had me start pushing for real. I was nervous that I wouldn't know when to push, but I could still feel the pressure from my contractions. Every time I felt one coming, I would let the nurses know and we would start pushing. I always thought that there was some special way to push and I kicked myself for not signing up for any child birth classes. But, it turns out that there really isn't a "special" way and after a couple tries I was able to get the hang of things. 

It wasn't long before they said they were going to get the doctor because he was RIGHT there. One of the nurses walked in and said that my doctor happened to be on call at the hospital and was coming in to deliver Baby J. I had no clue that she was there and was thrilled to find out that she would be the one we would get. Apparently, she had heard that I was in the hospital and said that if she wasn't with a patient when I was ready to start pushing to go get her. I knew I loved her. She could have just kept with the work she was doing, since she was actually covering for another practice that day, but she knew how much I wanted her. That's a quality doctor right there. 

They told me to stop pushing while they waited for the doctor. It was hard to stop once I had got going, so they said that I could do "little pushes" while we waited. Apparently, my "little pushes" were still pretty big because they started to get a little bit nervous and rushed my doctor into the room. She threw on her cap and gloves and someone tied up her gown as she sat down in front of me. They told her she needed to hurry up because the baby wouldn't wait for her to put on gloves. Haha.

Two or three more pushes we had a baby. They put him on my chest and we watched as he looked around for a minute, probably wondering where the hell he was now. All I remember is sobbing uncontrollably and saying "Oh my God" repeatedly. I couldn't believe that we had a baby. This was OUR baby. About a minute or so after he was born, he began to cry. They cleaned him up a bit and suctioned his mouth, then put a blanket on over him. He was screaming and I began to talk to him, telling him that he was alright and I was his Mom. Saying whatever I could to let him know that he was OK. As soon as I started talking, he stopped crying and just stared at me. It was one of the most intense moments of my life. It was like in that exact moment, he realized that I was his Mom, and everything was OK. He just kept staring at Alex and I when we were talking with him. He knew.

I'm his Mom. I'm a Mom.

Pure bliss.
They had been monitoring my temperature throughout my labor and were watching it slowly go up. Unfortunately, when they took it after I delivered him, it was high enough to be considered a fever. Which, is kind of ridiculous because I NEVER get fevers. Ever. Due to that, we were only allowed to spend an hour with him and then he needed to be brought to get antibiotics.

They took him to clean him off and take his weight while the doctor finished up with me. He was 9 lbs, 3 oz and 20.5 inches long. I couldn't believe that he weighed so much. Neither Alex or I weighed that. My doctor just laughed and said, "I told you so". Haha. Yes, yes she did.

John William. Born March 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM. 9 lbs 3 ounces, 20.5 inches.
The next two days were a whirlwind. We had a really hard time when they took him to do his antibiotics. They kept telling us it would take a certain amount of time and then it always took at least twice that. No one updated us on where he was, so we got a bit upset. And it seemed that every time we asked about his progress, he was "almost done" and we got him back like 15 minutes later. Other than that, we loved the hospital. I know they were busy, but I just wish that they kept us informed a little bit more than they did. I mean, we are new parents, we are going to be a bit anxious about the whereabouts of our baby.
Our Little Guy. They had to keep his IV in for his antibiotics and eventually had to put a diaper over it because he kept trying to put his hand in his mouth and the tape was coming off.
By the time we got him back from his first round of antibiotics it was almost 8:00 PM. Our parents and siblings were anxious to meet him and finally he was brought back in... after some pleading...
Everyone just loved our little guy.

The first night I barely got any sleep. I was still on an adrenaline high and trying to get used to the fact that we had a baby now. Thankfully they took him for his antibiotics and such around 5:00 AM and said they would bring him back in a bit. It turned out that he had some mucous that was coming up and they kept him to keep an eye on him so that I wouldn't have to stay up watching him. I was a little nervous when I woke up a few hours later and he wasn't back like they said he would be, but I appreciated the couple hours of sleep. Plus, I had heard him choking on the mucous a little and it was terrifying. I was glad that someone a little less emotional was taking care of it.
My whole heart in one picture.
We had a ton of visitors the next day. All of our close friends came to meet him. It was such an honor to get to introduce him to everyone we love. I was just so proud to be his mom. It was pretty surreal being on the other side of the baby visiting. We just couldn't get enough of him. Eventually, Alex went home to shower and run some errands (which included getting "It's a Boy" balloons that he hung all around the house - it was so sweet!). I missed him, but it was nice to have some down time and to just get our little guy to myself for awhile.
He looks so much like his Daddy here.
Looking handsome after his first bath. Which he hated...with a passion.
We were released from the hospital Monday afternoon. I kept thinking how strange it was that they were just letting us walk out of the hospital with this baby. They assured us we were ready and sent us on our way. It was one of the most nerve-wracking ride home ever. We had to take the highway, and there was a fair amount of traffic and I just felt like we were going a million miles an hour and all of the cars were heading straight for us. It definitely took awhile for me to become comfortable with him in the car.

We got home around 5:00 PM and unpacked everything from the car. Mr. Fresh immediately checked Baby J out and accepted him as his own. It has been truly amazing to watch him interact with the baby. If he ever makes a noise, there's the dog checking things out to make sure he's OK. He gives him smooches on his hands when he's sleeping in his swing. It really is the cutest thing in the world.

We spent the evening just getting used to the fact that we were parents and we were home. It definitely was surreal to have him in the house with us after so many months of talking and preparing.

We are parents now.



  1. Girl, you're going to make me cry. I'm so glad to read all of this and that you had a great labor experience. It's amazing. He's amazing. <3

  2. I loved reading this and may have teared up a bit :) I am so happy for you and glad that you had such a great delivery experience. He is precious!

  3. Birth stories are SO emotional for me to read now that I have gone through it all! It takes going through labor to know the emotion a momma feels when she first lays eyes on her baby. Therefore, I am a blubbering mess now after reading this..ha ha! What a great story! I have loved getting to know you through planning your wedding, getting married, getting pregnant, being pregnant and now we get to be Moms together! I am so thankful to have you as a friend! xo

  4. I read all three parts and figured I would comment on the last one. Not gonna lie, I started to tear up a bit. I am just so happy for you guys! And he is adorable! But you already know that! It sounds like you did an amazing job during his birth! Congratulations again on your new little family!


Little Somethings...