Monday, June 2, 2014

Baby J's Birth Story: Part One

Baby J's birth day was single handily the most amazing day of my life. Our lives. We had spent so long talking about how live would change when the baby finally came, but nothing could prepare us for how much it really did. The amount of love that you feel instantaneously for your child is incredible. I didn't know that it was possible to love someone so much, so quickly after meeting them.

After months and months of speculation, and many appointments of Baby J measuring "big", Alex and I somehow got it into our heads that we thought that he would come early. We didn't know why, but we did. I also thought that I was going to end up with a c-section, but he flipped the week before our ultrasound and was no longer breech. Unfortunately, my due date (March 18th) came and went. My doctor scheduled an induction date for 41 weeks, just in case, because she would be gone the week of my due date and wanted to make sure that we had a plan in place. 

On Thursday, (40 weeks 2 days) I went in for another ultrasound and a NST. I was secretly hoping that they would find a non-emergency reason to take him earlier than 41 weeks. I had my favorite ultrasound tech and we chatted about when he would finally be here. We tried to get some pictures, but he was so squished that all we could get was a kind of profile picture. We once again pleaded with him that he was running out of space and he should just come out. After that, it was off to the NST. I sat awkwardly while they hooked me up to the monitors. I asked for come water to get Baby J kicking since I knew if his movements were low, then I would be there longer. After awhile an alarm went off and I began to panic a little bit. I didn't know what it meant and no one was coming in. I had nothing on from the waist down, so I imagined myself running half naked through the hallways trying to find someone. But then I realized that it was around lunch time and no one needed to see a naked pregnant Mammoth running through the halls to ruin their appetite. 

Eventually, someone came in and it turned out to be one of the sensors was in the wrong spot. But then they read the results from the NST and became concerned. He was all over the place with his heart rate. They had me sit for another round while they found a doctor to review the first results. I mentally punched myself in the face for wishing for them to find a reason for him to come earlier. Luckily, it turns out that he was just super active and it was normal for his heart rate to fluctuate like that. I mentioned to the NP that I thought that babies were supposed to slow down closer to birth and she said they were. We both agreed that Baby J was an animal and obviously quite cozy. The NP said that I was about 2 cm dilated and 80% effaced. Not a huge improvement of what I was the week before, but it was a step in the right direction. 

I left the appointment with another appointment for Monday, the day before the scheduled induction. They wanted me to have another ultrasound and NST as well as a regular appointment. Unfortunately, it was such short notice that they couldn't schedule them all in the same place. So I was going to have to run around to a bunch of different towns & offices. I was not pleased about this.

On Friday, I had my last day of work. I knew that I would be awhile at my appointment on Monday and figured it would be nice to have a day to kind of relax and prepare for the baby. I spent my day cleaning up my cube and tying up some loose ends. I do a lot of random stuff at my job so I was trying to make sure that I had all of my bases covered. By the time 3:30 came I was ready to leave. I said goodbye to all of my coworkers and told them I would see them in a couple months.

I should have ben excited to be done with work, but instead I was just done. I hadn't been sleeping well and I was tired of being huge. Everything was hard and I was ready for it to be over. It was no secret that I wasn't a huge fan of being pregnant. By the time Alex came home I was a mess. I burst into tears on the couch and talked about how I felt like I would be pregnant forever. I just wanted to be "me" again. I didn't want to run all over the place on Monday. I didn't want to be induced. I just wanted my body to do what it was supposed to do and I wanted the baby here. Alex held me while I cried and then said we should go out to dinner. We didn't know when we would get the chance again and we figured we would take the freedom while we had it.

I went upstairs to change and bargained with my unborn child. I told him that I had had enough and that he needed to do his mom a solid and be born already. There may have been a promise of a car, but I'll never admit to it.

Alex and I headed out to dinner and had a nice evening just talking about life, the baby, and how everything was about to change. I tried to forget about how miserable I was and just enjoy the time with my husband. We came home that night, watched some TV in bed, and went to sleep. I had plans with my mom and N the next day to get our nails done and to run some errands. I figured if I was going to be large forever, I might as well plan some fun things to do. 

I went to bed that night, just like every other night. I woke up a couple times, as usual, to use the bathroom. No big deal. Same stuff, different night. Except, when I woke up at 5:00, things didn't feel right. I immediately knew something was up...

To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. Way to leave me hanging! :) JK I'm so excited you're finally writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to read your entire birth story! Glad you're back to blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would leave us hanging right there!! You better not wait weeks to come back for us!

    Was your baby boy sitting up high for what seemed like months on end? I'm experiencing that now. He is so high in my ribs. I am ready for him to drop!

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...