Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Baby J's Birth Story: Part Two

If you missed Part One, read it here.

On Saturday, March 22nd, I woke up to use the bathroom for what felt like the millionth time. Which was pretty much par for the course during my pregnancy. I knew every night that I would be up 3-5 times before it was time to wake up. Thankfully, it was a Saturday so I knew I could sleep in. I loved my Saturdays. Alex has Wednesdays off and works Saturdays so I would always end up with the bed to myself after he left for work. It sucked that he worked, but my large pregnant self was only comfortable lying diagonal across the bed and you can't really do that if someone else is in the bed. Plus, Mr. Fresh and I used it as a chance to bond and cuddle.

However, this Saturday was different. I woke up at 5:00 AM, went to the bathroom, and crawled back into bed. At 5:17 AM, this gigantic wave of pain came over me. For a couple weeks I had been having contractions, but nothing that really hurt, got worse, or came in a pattern. I knew they were just Braxton Hicks contractions, but I was unsure when I would know if it was the real thing. I read that you will just know. And oh man... you KNOW. 

I knew immediately that this contraction was no joke. It was the real thing. I watched the clock and at 5:19 AM another one came. Ouch. I waited for one more, just another two minutes later, and I got up out of bed. I knew I needed to be timing these. I went downstairs, pulled up my timer app, and turned the TV on. It was terrible. They hurt, and they were coming 1-3 minutes apart. More so 1-2 minutes apart. I sat and watched the TV while I timed the contractions and an hour later they were just as bad. I started wondering if things were progressing a little too quickly, so I called the doctor. I spoke to the answering service and waited for the doctor to call back. I knew my doctor wasn't there, but I was relieved to find out that the doctor that called back was the only other one that I knew at the office. He told me that it sounded like I was definitely in labor, but it was still early so I should probably wait an hour or so and then come in.

At that point I woke Alex up and told him what was going on. I left him sleeping as long as I could, there was no point in us both being awake. I told him I had spoken to the doctor and what was going on and told him we should head to the hospital within the hour. I then went downstairs, made him some coffee, and began to get the house in order. It was so easy task, walking around doing chores, but I couldn't stand just sitting still. I cleaned up the dishes, tidied up the living room and kitchen, picked up the bedroom, showered, and straightened my hair. 

My very last Bumpdate picture taken that morning!

Alex followed me around the house for the most part asking me if we could please head to the hospital now. He wasn't awake during the first hour so he didn't know that this was pretty much what had been happening the whole time. He just saw that they were coming quickly and thought we needed to leave ASAP. I have to admit, I did get a little nervous that we might not make it, but I also knew that it could take a long time so I wanted to be at home for as long as possible.

Eventually, it was time to leave. Alex packed the car and I made sure that we had everything we needed. I was starving and wished that I could eat something, but I felt nauseous with every contraction so I was afraid that I would throw up whatever I ate. Instead, I just got in the car and tried to focus on staying as relaxed as possible. The contractions were BAD and every little bump made them so much worse. It was pretty much the worst car ride ever. I've heard of people talking about the car ride to the hospital, but I never imagined that it would be that bad. 

Terrible picture, but contractions don't leave time for camera settings.
Our last picture before Baby J joined our family!

We got off the highway and stopped at a yield sign behind another car. We could see the hospital and there was no one else on the road, but the guy in front of us was still stopped. Just sipping his coffee. Relaxing. Right then another contraction hit and I was all done. I could see the hospital and I just wanted to be out of the car, immediately. Alex honked at the guy, but he wouldn't move. Finally, we started to go around him, we weren't going to sit and wait for him to finish his coffee. Alex showed him some nice hand gestures and a few choice words as we drove by.

Finally, we made it to the hospital by about 8:30 AM.  Although, imagine our surprise when the guy pulled into the parking lot right behind us. We ignored him and he started to give us a nasty look when he walked by us. But, when he realized what was going on, he just looked ahead and kept walking.

We headed up to the maternity floor and I was so glad that I had sent in my paperwork ahead of time. I could barely get through the two signatures that they had me sign. Then, they handed me a piece of paper giving them permission to provide medical care to the baby. I had to sign my name and then write the relationship to the patient, I started to write "self" as I always did on forms, but the lady reminded me that this was for the baby, my son, I was his MOTHER. It was a trip writing that. 

They brought us into a triage room and got us hooked up to the monitors. I had called my mom on the way to the hospital because we had plans that morning and I just wanted to let her know where I was. At this point, I was just hoping not to be sent home. If this wasn't labor then I don't know what was. My original plan was to see how long I could make it without getting an epidural. I didn't want to get it right away and then be stuck in a bed for two days. However, I told them that the minute they could give me something I wanted it. The contractions were bad, but they were also coming so quick that I sometimes didn't get a break between then and it was exhausting. I knew that I needed to have as much strength as possible. 

The nurses were super sweet and got us checked out quickly. They told me that I was 3 cm and 90% effaced. That was better than Thursday, but I wasn't sure if they were going to keep me. I asked the nurse what the plan was and she said that I was staying. This was about when I professed my love for her. Haha.

A little while later they came in to get my IV hooked up and take some blood. They had some trouble getting it in and needed to put it in my wrist. They couldn't get the first one in and eventually had to try the other hand. It was not pleasant, but they finally were able to get it in. They said they were getting our room ready and asked if anyone had talked to us about the plan. Apparently, they were going to break my water as soon as we got to my room and then they were going to give me my epidural. I was impressed with how quickly they wanted to get things moving. 

During this time I just tried to breathe through the contractions. Every time I felt one rolling in, I would just try to focus on breathing in and out nice and slow. If I tensed up, they felt a thousand times worse, so I tried to pretend I was just riding a (painful) wave and get through them. Surprisingly, to me, I only swore a couple times and that was when I had contractions right on top of each other. A couple quiet f-bombs. That was it. 

At around 10:00 AM, they brought us down to our room and it was about that time that my mom arrived. She had said that she wanted to be at the hospital the whole time, but didn't care where it was. She packed a bag of things to keep her busy and she was perfectly happy sitting in the waiting room. I told her she could come down to the room and I would just kick her out if I had had enough. She arrived and minutes later the doctor walked in. She left the room to give me some privacy and since Big A was eating his breakfast I told him he would probably rather be in the hallway for this one. 

They broke my water and then the anesthesiologist came in to do my epidural. I had heard horror stories of it not working, or something going wrong with it, but it was fine. It was just a little pinch when they numbed the area and that's it. After that it was smooth sailing. The nurse asked me if I felt the last contraction, which I obviously didn't. I was so thankful for the epidural and for the first time on over 5 hours I could relax a little.

The nurse suggested that I get some rest because I would need all the energy I could get later. I wasn't feeling very tired so I just kept chatting with my mom and Alex and playing on my phone. At one point the nurse took my phone away and gave it to my mom. Then she told them that I needed to get some rest and they should do their best to make sure that I got some. I was slightly amused and a little annoyed with her, but I pretty much passed out about 5 seconds later so I figured she knew what she was talking about. 

At around 1:30 PM they checked me and I was at 6 cm. I had asked them how my contractions were doing after the epidural and they said they had slowed down a little bit. They suggested that we start using a little pitocin to keep things moving. I figured that I couldn't feel anything, so why not. I wanted to keep things moving as fast as possible. I was starving and knew that I couldn't eat until this baby was out. I had another little chat with Baby J and asked him to please come out in time for me to have dinner. It didn't need to be at dinner time, but I couldn't go into the next day without food. The water and ginger ale just wasn't cutting it. 

They started the pitocin and I started to feel a little bit of pain and pressure with the contractions. They were flipping me over onto the opposite side every hour, so I was wondering if the epidural was stopping working. They gave me another little boost and asked me to wait awhile and see how I feel. But, the pressure didn't let up. They said it could just be from Baby J moving down, but it had only been an hour or so since I was last checked. They tried another boost of the medicine, but I felt the same. They called the doctor back in around 3:00 PM to check things out. Turns out the pressure I was feeling was Baby J getting in position. I was 10 cm and ready to go. They told me that they were going to give me another half an hour to see if I felt the urge to push on my own. If not, then they were going to start me pushing at 4:00 PM.

Unfortunately, it was time for the nurse we were working with to go home. This woman, Kathy, was absolutely amazing. She was exactly what I needed. She was nice and sweet, but tough when she needed to be. I was sad to see her go, especially since it seemed like things were so close to happening. Luckily, the nurse that came in was just as sweet and I was relieved that I wasn't stuck with some jerk, which was a fear of mine all along. 

At about quarter of, they had me do a couple "practice pushes". I guess Baby J had made up his mind to come because after a couple of the "practice pushes" they told me that this baby was going to be here sooner than they thought and they were going to get everything ready. 

To be continued...


  1. I can't imagine the ride all the way to NWH! I know some people who live on the cape who drove all the way to BWH in labor...I would probably kill someone. Also, that dude. I was laughing so hard because he probably felt like a jerk when he saw your big belly and pissed off face!

    So, give it to me straight. How was bad the IV in the hand/wrist? I think I'm more scared of that than I am giving birth.

  2. I just made note to contact someone to pre register before delivery. Someone had told me about that a while back and I had forgot. Thank you for the reminder!!

    I fear a rude, pissy nurse also. Glad you had good luck with the two you had before labor.

  3. It must be amazing to not feel the contractions after the epidural and to be able to sleep!! I BEGGED for it but of course I couldn't get it! But, after 21 hours of labor and 2 hours of pushing, by the time Sam arrived all I wanted to do was sleep! I love reading your story and can't wait till the next part!! xo


Little Somethings...