Wednesday, June 11, 2014

What's in a Name: How We Picked Our Son's Name

Brand new babe!
Alex and I had talked about baby names a thousand times. We had been together for almost 7 years by the time we had Baby J so we had been through the conversation quite a few times.
 
As long as I've known him, Alex was always adamant about the fact that he wanted his first son to be named John. It's his middle name and his Great Grandfather's name. Alex is a third, so I always thought it was up to him to choose whether or not he wanted to continue on the name. I'm not typically big on that, but I was open to the discussion for it. I always wanted our children to have their own names, their own identities. And while I get the sentiment that goes along with naming your child after one of the parents, it wouldn't have been my first choice.
 
We had a boy name and a girl name picked out before we knew what we were having. We were a bit up in the air on the middle name for the boy, but the girl name was picked. In fact, while I knew in my heart that it was a boy (we both did, pretty much the entire time), I was starting to convince myself that since I liked the girl name so much that it must be a girl.
 
However, as we found out in October, Baby P was VERY much a boy and thus became, Baby J.
 
We went back and forth between the names Patrick and William for the middle name. Patrick was my dad's father's middle name. And William was my mother's father's first name. Alex never got to meet my paternal Grandfather since he passed away a few months after we started dating. He met my maternal Grandfather quite a few times and they really took a liking to each other.
 
We eventually decided on the name William. My cousin had a little girl right after we found out that we were having a boy and named her Ruth, after my maternal Grandmother. It just seemed like destiny that she had a girl and we had a boy (them both being the first two great grandchildren on that side) so we decided that Ruth & William should be back together again.
 
I was incredibly nervous that he would be born and he wouldn't seem like a John. That was my biggest fear. I mean, how do you pick someone's name for them? But, thankfully, he was a John from the moment we saw him. I mean, we hardly ever use his name right now since we have developed a HUGE list of nicknames (I know it's terrible, all the baby books frown upon it, but I'm pretty sure that he will realize at some point in life that his name isn't Boomer and he won't be in therapy because of it).
 
I think it might be a little harder to name the next one, since we were so convinced for so long that our first boy would be John, we were used to it. It was agreed upon a long time before he was even a twinkle in our eye. We chat a bit about the next one. I told Alex that I get to pick the first name and he can pick the middle, since it was opposite with Baby J. Haha.
 
If we have a girl? Who knows. Alex already doesn't like the girl name we picked before so I guess it is a good thing we didn't have a girl! Haha.
 
The middle name for a girl is already picked out. My grandfather, William, was an only child and he had three girls. So while their last name became their middle name when they got married, he didn't have anyone to carry it on other than that. I'm the only one of my female cousins who was given a middle name at birth, which is my mother's maiden name. So technically, I'm the one carrying on the name. It took me a long time to like my middle name, since it wasn't the normal girly middle name that all of my friends had, BUT now I am so thankful that I have it and plan to pass it on if we ever have a little girl.
 
So that's our little man.
 
John William.
 
I couldn't think of a more perfect name for him. Our sweet, precious boy.

1 comment:

  1. This is crazy! John William was a name we had discussed a long time ago for a boy. Not that we are having kids yet, but I am a planner, so naturally I already have names picked out, haha! I love his name!

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...