Wednesday, October 15, 2014

October 15th

I wasn't planning on blogging today. I don't plan on blogging most days. But, after seeing what today was a whole bunch of times, I felt like I needed to.
 
Today is October 15th, National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day.
 
 
If you have been following along for awhile, which most of you have because the blog is private right now and there's like 3 of you who still have access, then you know that our journey to have Baby J was a little bit harder than initially anticipated.
 
I know that we were lucky in the sense that we only dealt with one lost, and it didn't take us that much longer to get pregnant again. But it crushed us. I don't think it was even a blip on our radar that we would get pregnant the first month, and we definitely never expected to ever face a loss. I mean, that stuff happens to other people, not you, right?

 
20 months later, I have hundreds of pictures of my sweet, almost, 7 month baby boy. We are one of the lucky ones. But I don't think we will ever forget that feeling. I think it will always be in the back of our heads and in our hearts.
 
With a shitty statistic like 1 in 4, chances are either you or someone you know has experienced a pregnancy loss. And it's terrible. There are so many different websites out there that help. I found a lot of solace in some online support groups for awhile. Just talking about it helped. Just know that you're not alone. I found that it was a lot more common than I thought. It helped to talk to people who had been through it.
 
If you know someone who has been through it, or been through it, talk about it. Reach out. It gets easier, I promise. You never forget. It's never fully OK. But it gets easier.
 


1 comment:

  1. It is such a shitty statistic. I know so many people who have experienced some kind of loss and it's awful. It's one of the reasons I was so worried about getting (and staying) pregnant. I think the only good thing to come out of it is that now it's talked about so much more widely so there is tons of support for people who go through it. It's not something women and partners have to silently suffer about.

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...