Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Post of Christmases Past

I've been seeing this post today, and I thought that I'd jump on the bandwagon. I mean, I haven't posted in a thousand years, at least I can post about Christmases past.
 
And then I realized that we have been together a LOT of Christmases and this might take awhile...

2007 - Christmas Seven Years Ago: We had only been dating for 7 months, but things were starting to get serious. My Grandpa had just passed away and he drove my dad, my brother, and me FOUR HOURS ONE WAY in a BLIZZARD to the airport so that we could fly to Ireland for the funeral. While we were away, he went over to my house to make sure that my mom was plowed out and didn't need any help. It was safe to say that I was madly in love with him. I will never be able to describe to him what that all meant to me. And to him, it was just no big deal. I knew he was "The One". I met his parents for the first time on Christmas Eve. It was quite the whirlwind of a December.

2008 - Christmas Six Years Ago: We were well into our relationship and things were on the move. It was the first time that we really shared a Holiday. It was overwhelming doing Christmas with two big families, but it was a lot of fun!

2009 - Christmas Five Years Ago: We had JUST moved into our apartment the month before and we were so excited to be living together. It was a huge step for both of us, I had never lived with someone I was dating and he had never moved out of his parents' house. We enjoyed decorating our own tree and making our own traditions for the two of us!

2010 - Christmas Four Years Ago: I'll admit, my ring finger was a little bit itchy this day. Haha. BUT, I tried not to let it get in the way of all the fun we were having. Running from Christmas to Christmas was exhausting but fun!

2011 - Christmas Three Years Ago: A bittersweet Christmas. We were engaged. The wedding planning was well under way, and we were so excited for everything that 2012 would bring us! Unfortunately, my Grandy's health started to go down hill and we didn't know it at the time, but this would be our last Christmas with him. He passed away a little less than two months later. I remember Alex and I sat next to him at dinner. Just talking to him about life and love. It was a conversation that I had NEVER had with him before. He told Alex and I that he was happy for us and that we should always take care of each other. It was probably the most special conversation that I've ever had with him. I wish I had known what I know now. We had to leave to go to Alex's side of the family, and I think that if I had REALLY known what was going on, I wouldn't have left. But, I am SO glad that we got to have that conversation with him. I will always hold it special in my heart.

2012 - Christmas Two Years Ago: Was a big one. We don't do anything small. It was our first Christmas as husband and wife, having just got married three months earlier. We had also JUST moved into our house. It was insane. We closed on the house December 5th, spent every single night working on it and moved in on the 15th. I wish we had more time to get things ready before moving in, but we were on a deadline for my birthday and Christmas. We kept things light on the decorations since we were still spinning in circles, but I will always remember our first Christmas in our house. OUR house.

2013 - Christmas Last Year: Continuing on in rapid speed, we were eagerly anticipating the birth of our son. Christmas was filled with so much magic last year as we imagined what it would be like this year with our sweet boy. We were getting everything ready for him and enjoying our last moments of just US. We knew that in a couple months, our life would change forever.

2014 - This Christmas: There is so much magic in the air. Honestly. I am SO unprepared that it is laughable. But I have this sense of calm about it. Because none of that matters this year. All that matters is that we are so absolutely blessed to have our sweet boy in our life. Alex and I could not have even imagined the love that we would have for this (not so) tiny human being. It is hard to remember a moment of our lives without him. He was definitely a missing piece to our puzzle. While this year has been FAR from easy, we are so incredibly lucky to have our family. And THAT'S what matters this year. Family

1 comment:

  1. such a neat idea to look back on past christmas's and see how far we've come! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your little family :)

    ReplyDelete

Little Somethings...